Wednesday, June 13, 2018

An Excellent Father

Many years ago you came in a dream to ask me to write a book about you. There wasn't internet then. I know your life history was interesting but I really don't know how to pen it although i'd a fishing book, many literary articles & forum letters published. Moreover finding a good publisher is tough. I'm sorry.

Now with social media greatly in use, I choose to dedicate a blog page to you, same as i did for your beloved wife, my dearest mother. Hope you'll like it, in time as a Father's Day gift.

 
Kum Seong as the eldest of 5 kids of a Cantonese family, his duty or burden was great. Primary School education in Kwong Fook School (now Tai Pei Buddhist Centre) was ceased due to World War II. Well, that didn't stop his search for knowledge. In his spare time from his career in engineering works, he read Chinese Newspapers, listened to radio prog, & attended courses such as Book-Keeping, Electrical Works, Social Dancing, Photography etc. At old age, he learned Tai Chi.

He felt that only Fountain Pen could bring out the Spirit of Penmanship. That's his favourite Parker Pen & Pencil set. Many years ago, I submitted the set to an Oldest Parker Pen Contest. Surprised! Consolation Prize only! 

In his younger days, he even wrote CNY couplets himself. Perhaps due to his love for Writing & Respect the Elders, in the 60s, he brought me to Letter-Writing Men in Jalan Besar & Chinatown areas to correspond with his mother's HK relatives. That's how the bonding with the HK relatives started.

Whenever his sisters got troubles with the husbands or my uncle got bullied, he were stormed in! He's very disappointed with the 3 sisters who didn't appreciate his help, also caused lots of problems with the mother & the 2 sister-in-laws, My dad eventually disowned my aunts. He were act too when other relatives & friends needed his fists.

Noticed that my dad loved to eat Fish Head. Why I asked. His reply was that's the only part left when he returned from work. His mother & other siblings ate first.

My grandpa was Factory Manager of several Foundry companies. Well, his eldest son observed that he wasn't appreciated by all the bosses. So 1 day he accepted the son's request to form Hup Soon Cheong Heng Foundry Works. It's one of the places where my uncle, Kum Cheong, learnt the trade. Eventually he started an engineering works business.

He realised that English was important so told his mum to send the brother to join English class. His mother agreed but he to pay for his brother's fee. My father did. By knowing English in the early years helped my uncle greatly in his business.

By the time I completed National Service, Foundry Works was already a sunset trade. Moreover my dad didn't want I to work in such heavy & dirty industry. Our shop at Lavender St is now a Conservation property belonged to OCBC. My dad didn't get to see me becoming a Geomancer. Anyway, hope he's pleased to see what I'm today.

In the 40s, he married his dream lover. And in april this year they reunited in the Western Paradise. They loved each other & me greatly. He's a strict father, engaged many tutors for my weak subjects including Art. He sent his mother to HK to visit her parents & siblings twice. Once by ship, another by plane. My parents & I also visited many Asian countries.

 Taiwan in the 70s

Dining was our great past time too. Most of the weekends we dined in new restaurants. We been to Shangri-La & Top of the M as well.

Although my parents were Chinese educated till Primary education, they'd a Special Romance. In the 70s, they celebrated their Silver Wedding! Following their way, I'd mine too.

Parents preparing Birthday Cake for their Only Kid

He disclosed that at one period of business entertaining at night clubs & bars, the trend was to have Cognac & soft-drink mixed, & that's how he contacted Diabetes. He didn't drink at home. Only a beer or two at restaurant dining. At special function, a glass or two of cognac. He quit smoking long before diabetes. Under the good supervision of our family GP, Dr Wong Poh Yen, his diabetes was cured. Some years later, in the 80s, he contacted Liver problem. He left us 6 months later. 

I asked him why joined Diabetic Assn of S'pore as an Ordinary but joined Automobile Association as a Life Member? He said he hoped his diabetes can be cured. He hoped to own a car forever.

Talking about Driving, he insisted that I must get a Driving License. Eventually I did after uncountable tries from Maxwell to Eunos! Changed at least a dozen or two of instructors. 

Papa, that's about all I can write about you. But my love & respect for you & Mama is beyond words.
I Love You Both.


13/6/18 - 10.10pm

Please also read the other page An Excellent Mother



No comments: